Tuesday, March 10, 2009

2 hours and 5 minutes

One of the great joys of traveling is a growing understanding of local custom. In Brazil, we've found that one such custom is the notion of time. Most intervals are expressed as either '5 minutes', which is a generic term for any time period of more than a minute and less than 30 minutes, or 2 hours, a similarly generic term meaning 'longer than 5 minutes'. So it was with some uncertainty that we left Sao Paulo on Saturday afternoon for Juquehy, a beach on Brazil's coast that is '2 hours away'. Before we left, we finished shopping with Malu, ate breakfast with her, and got a primer on the Brazilian coast. Malu owns a home not far (5 minutes) from Juquehy, so she gave us a list of beach and restaurant recommendations. She also graciously suggested we visit her home for a day to see a different beach. After that, Esper met us at Malu's house and escorted to his home for a light lunch and visit with his family. At his home, we met Rod, our driver to Juquehy. This was not our first meeting with Rod - he drove us to Paraty when we visited Brazil in 2007. Shelby nicknamed him 'Hot Rod' after that trip and was inwardly not too excited about reliving the experience. To sooth Shelby, Esper asked Rod to drive slowly. The ride to Juquehy was uneventful, but '2 hours' actually meant a shade over 3 hours this time. We arrived and almost made a big mistake. There is a Juquehy Beach Hotel and a Praia Juquehy Hotel - these are two different entities separated by more than a mile, despite nearly identical names that can be easily confused in translation. We went to the wrong one first. Fortunately, I realized it didn't look similar to the pictures and we eventually realized our mistake before Rod drove off. When we arrived at the right hotel, we were very impressed. Our room is modern and clean, with a nice patio and a portable crib for Eli. There are two pools, including one overlooking the beach. A large, shaded sitting area is adjacent to the pool and restaurant, allowing us to sit in the shade while Eli sits, reading our books as the ocean waves crash to shore about 20 feet away. We had an early dinner on Saturday night and I watched a soccer game on TV as Shelby put Eli to sleep. As it turns out, there is at least one soccer game on at all times. In fact, I'm watching one as I type this.

Sunday was a quiet day at the hotel. I rented a boogie board after breakfast. Shelby and I took turns watching Eli and playing in the ocean. We also discovered that Eli is a natural in the water - all the kicking and fussing that is challenging to deal with on land is an asset in the water. When he starts swim lessons in a few weeks, he will already be experienced! A constant challenge this week, though, is balancing our tendency to spend a lot of time outside and the importance of keeping Eli protected from the sun. But there is enough soccer on TV and books to read to keep us entertained. After our water time on Sunday, we walked down the street to a local market. We bought 8 liters of water and assorted dessert cookies. Enough to last us a few days. The cobblestone streets are difficult to navigate with our stroller, so we resolved to walk back along the beach next time. For dinner, we ordered a pizza from a local restaurant. Very tasty! Full from dinner, we all went to sleep very early (with a soccer game on in the background, of course!)

We opted for another quiet day on Monday. A tradition when Shelby and I go on vacation is to try at least one new activity each time. This time we tried a professional massage. I had a violent massage in Bangkok several years ago, but this was a much gentler activity. It was Shelby's first massage - but I think it will not be her last. We also took Eli into the pool again and played a little more in the ocean. The sun was hotter than on Sunday so we rationed our time outdoors accordingly. Once the sun set, we strolled down the beach to a restaurant for dinner. We shared a giant pot of shrimp and fish stew. Though the menu said it served two, I think it could have fed eight. Walking back to our hotel on the beach was very peaceful until Eli pierced the tranquility with his customary high pitched wail.

On Tuesday, we visited the beach house of Malu, our host in Sao Paulo. She (and several guests of the hotel) reccommended a restaurant located across the street from her beach house. We figured that we could go to her house, spend a few hours at the beach, and then have a late lunch or early dinner at the restaurant. One problem with this plan - this area is heavily geared towards weekend visitors from the city. The restaurant was not open. Instead, Malu's housekeeper at the beach went to he market and bought ingredients to make us lunch. Again, enough food to serve a small army, but it was all delicious. I think my favorite part was the desert of mangoes, ice cream, and hot chocolate sauce. We also spent time on the beach. It was bizarre to have a tent set up for us on the beach by the local staff. Shelby and Eli spent most of their time under the tent, while I braved the water. The surf was much stronger here than at our hotel, lending itself to body surfing. I didn't dare go too far out, though, as the undertow worried me. I hung close to three Brazilian teenagers who were much less clumsy in the water than me! At around 5 PM, we took a taxi back to our hotel and began the long preparation for bed. We detoured to have a brief dessert of fruit juice and mango at the hotel restaurant, but were once again in bed by about 7:30. Party animals, we are.

Today was great fun (for me). I took a surfing lesson! When I was much younger, my dad taught us how to balance on a 'balance board' in our basement. At first, I couldn't stay up for more than a second or two at a time. Eventually, I learned to balance for more than a minute...essentially until I got bored. Today I learned that the board simulated the motion of surfing. While the timing of catching a wave is still foreign, once I stood up I was able to keep my balance and ride the waves all the way into the shore. I don't think it is a pastime that I will do often enough to become proficient, but it was a great time to do it today. Shelby entertained the idea of taking a lesson, but the surf was too intimidating. She did say that she enjoyed boogie boarding, so we bought a boogie board at the local market this afternoon. It was cheaper to buy the board (and perhaps give it to friends in Sao Paulo) than to rent it for two days. Strange local economy. The walk to the market today deserves a mention. A brief, torrential storm hit the hotel right after my surf lesson. Unbenownst to us, this made the sand a lot less tractable than it had been earlier in the week. Trying to push the stroller through the sand was like pushing it through mud - we were both exhausted by the time we made it back to the hotel with the boogie board and more bottled water. Now we are resting up before dinner. I'm watching soccer with the hotel staff and Shelby and Eli are out for a walk. We thought we would order a pizza for dinner, but the pizza place may be closed. We don't expect our last two days at the hotel to be particularly eventful. We expect to continue relaxing, spending time in the ocean, and reading. And, tomorrow morning, about 48 hours before our flight, I expect Shelby to start worrying about the trip home.

No comments: